Sauerkraut and porcini mushrooms soup
Instead of those I used smoked paprika and porcini mushrooms which have a unique hearty, nutty and meaty savoury taste, are loaded with #iron , fibre and antioxidants.
They’re also high in #protein but low in fat and calories. So back off sausage and ham!!! 😁
More health benefits of these shrooms are:
💛 aid weight loss
💛 reduce inflammation
💛 boost #immunity
💛 may kill colon cancer cells
💛 support #guthealth
To further support your gut health, souerkraut in this soup is a great natural probiotic! It is also loaded with vitamin C and other vitamins and minerals.
This recipe makes about 4 portions.
The soup keeps in the fridge well for up to 3 days. In fact the longer you leave it the more flavoursome it become. It can also be frozen.
To make this you will need:
30g dried porcini mushrooms (or fresh if available). If using dried ones, soak them in boiling water for 30min and drain before cooking.
1 jar (360g) of organic souerkraut (i used Biona organics. available in any good health shop)
1 cup of butternut squash cut to small cubes
1 tbsp vegan butter
1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 500ml boiling water
1 small onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp sweet paprika
1-2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. In a pan melt the butter. 2. Add finely chopped onion and stew for couple of minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook for another minute or so.
4. Add the black pepper, paprika, smoked paprika, bay leaves, drained mushrooms, butternut squash and sauerkraut. Stir well then add the made up stock. Cover.
5. Bring to boil then simmer for 20min. Or until soft. Thou I like a bit of crunch still left in the mushrooms and the sauerkraut. ☺️
6. Enjoy with a slice of toasted sourdough bread. Or a slice of brioche. As traditionally eaten in Slovakia. It gives a soup a nice sweet and sour contrast. 😋
But it also adds sugar and calories, sadly, so if you are watching your waste/sugar intake then leave out.
The soup is delicious on its own as well.